We all know that while summer is a nice time to relax and spend time with our kids, it can also be a time of boredom and frustration. Because of that, I have compiled a list of 5 things that you can do with your kids this summer that are inexpensive or free. With inflation the way it is right now, we can all use some ideas to save money but still keep our kids entertained!
1. Lowe's or Home Depot workshops or wood working kits. Our local Home Depot and Lowe's have not restarted their free Saturday kids workshops, but they do sell the kits for $5. We can create a pirate ship, fish tank, or bird house for just $5 and it comes with everything you need to complete the project.
2. If you have a water park near you, it is totally worth to get the season pass. Passes at our local water park are $69 per person. If we go twice, it pays for itself. We go in the afternoons during the week and in the morning right when they open on the weekend. We bring our own food, drinks, and picnic blanket so we don't need to buy anything there. Completely worth it!
3. Story or craft at the library. If you can make it during the times they offer it, kids really enjoy story or craft time at the library. My local library has it in the mornings during the week. I have been there a few times and the kids love it!
4. Have an indoor campout. This one will take some planning but when you are desperate for something new and different and on a budget, this is super fun. Pitch a tent if you have room, layout the sleeping bags, bring in the flashlight lanterns, and eat smores that you baked in the oven while telling camp fire stories! If you do not have room to pitch a tent or do not own a tent, you can build a fort with blankets and pillows.
5. Have an indoor or neighborhood scavenger hunt. Write down or print out pictures of what you want your kids to find, set a time limit, and have a really fun prize at the end such as ice cream or popsicles. Your kids will try harder once they know there is something fun at the end of it.
I would love to know if you have tried any of these ideas!